Thursday, August 29, 2024

Flower Rock Painting Tutorial

 Welcome!


All painted rocks by inkspired

I have been enjoying painting large flowers on rocks so much.

I am currently rimming my large honey locust tree with them.


Each rock is larger than my fist, so you can see my tree ring is quite large. 

I love the bright colors!



Sometimes I paint a few rocks with different flower shapes than most.

Above I was attempting a marigold.

Some turn out better than others!




Let’s get started!

First, you need a rock. They are all around us. You can also buy some great shapes from home improvement type stores, or rock & gravel stores.

A back road in Bridgeport, Nebraska, USA

If it’s not your property be sure to ask permission before removing any rocks.


You can paint any size rock. For around my tree I chose rocks that are a bit larger than the palm of my hand. Some are smaller, some are larger.

When choosing a rock try to find one as smooth as possible.


Next you want to wash your rock. I use 

water and a scrubby brush. Some people 

use dish soap but I really think 

that’s overkill.

Set aside to dry well.

Gather your supplies.


These are some of the brands of paint I use. I will say if you pay just a bit more you will get a better paint.


Tip:

Put a dot of paint on the lid. Then you know the exact color paint, no matter how you store it.


You will need a white pencil to draw your flower shape on the rock. Any brand works.

Tip:

If you use a lead pencil it may be difficult for your paint to cover it.



Here are some different brush sizes I like:

You will need some Mod Podge. There are 19 different formulas, so choose a matte or glossy, whatever you prefer.



I like to use a small plastic container with lid when I use Mod Podge. It helps it to not dry out, get thick and form globs and strings.

Tip:

Be sure to wash your brushes immediately after use with water and your preferred brush soap. I like Murphy’s.



This particular rock was difficult because the paint was so cheap. It took me numerous coats to get a decent look.


Here it is, finished.

I added several more colors to get it to not look washed  out; and to give it some dimension.

After painting your flower, add in some green leaves to set it off.


No need to paint the whole rock. I leave the back plain except for my name.

When your Mod Podge is dry, time to spray with a clear acrylic coat to make it water/weather resistant.

I like Krylon brand, but you can use whatever you prefer. Spray 2-4 coats for good coverage. Dry in between coats.

You are done!


These look great along a sidewalk too!


After you are done painting, it’s time to seal your rock. If you have used Permanent Marker for any details it is essential you do a coat of Mod Podge BEFORE you spray with a clear acrylic finishing coat. Otherwise you can watch all that detail melt away when you spray to seal your rock.

Tip:

If you have room, set aside a cardboard box for spray painting only. Tape up the flaps to make the sides higher. Always ventilate when using sprays.

Now that you have been practicing painting flowers, why not expand on that and make a large garden rock?


These make great gifts!




Tip:
When lettering ANYTHING always practice on a scrap piece of paper the same size as what you will be painting them on permanently. 
This will save you so much grief.

Here are some rocks I have painted for friends’ gardens -





I have even taught this at 
the local Senior Center.


The more flowers you paint, the better you will become.
Now…nothing is safe from our paintbrushes!




Do have a fun day,
and don’t forget to laugh at something.

‘Til next time,
inkspired

Questions?
Just leave me a note.



No comments:

Post a Comment