Monday, September 7, 2026

Dance across the autumn sky

 


The weather is being moody.
High 90’s one day, mid-70’s the next.
A little rain shower this afternoon.
A thundering cacophony last night.


A wind came up last night. Today there are all sorts of little leaves scampering about. Here, there. They don’t quite know what to do yet.
Soon they’ll be joined by friends and they’ll have fun piling up against my porch.
Hmmm….


I’m thinking I just might be feeling a little 
‘Fall-ish’.
Time for green to turn to yellow, scarlet, brown, purple, gold and orange.

November, 1927 magazine

The weather is turning cooler, a tad.
A few leaves are thinking about changing colors. I always look forward to Fall shades!


Vintage magazine cover


Let’s go on a leaf—finding adventure!
Bring a paper bag or something similar to collect fallen leaves in. Try to pick freshly fallen ones that aren’t too ‘crunchy’. When you get home you can press them between the leaves of a book, with paper towels to absorb moisture. Place heavy books on top to help press them -OR
You can use a microwave flower press. I love mine! In 20 seconds or less you have beautiful pressed leaves ready to craft with. Amazon has a selection of microwave presses.
Ready to play?
Here are some ideas from other crafters:



Use a sturdy piece of cardstock or watercolor paper. Lay out your leaves in a pleasing design. Take some Elmer’s glue or similar (like school glue), and with a paintbrush put a light coat of glue on the paper, and then press your leaf in place. 
You can also ‘paint’ your leaf on the back with a light coat of glue.
After you are finished place paper towels on top and press everything in place. Dab glue where any leaves are coming up. Press between layers of paper towels and place heavy books on top. Worried some glue might be squishing out? Place wax paper or freezer paper on top of your leaf art, then follow the rest of the steps.
Let dry - overnight should be fine.
Really like it? Use a clear acrylic spray to ‘seal’ things in place. Krylon also has some beautiful glimmer glitter sprays that look great over your piece.


Here is another idea. Remove book pages from an old beat up book. Cut into banner/pennant shapes as desired. Glue on pressed leaf to each book page. Use string or yarn and attach the pages by folding the top over and gluing. Be sure to leave a little space between pages.


I’m sorry I cannot give credit to most of the photos I use, as it is unknown. If you know the crafter/artist/photographer please let me know so I can give due credit.

Artist Rene’ Merval, 1920

Found some great leaves, but now they’re brown and stiff? Time to doodle with a white gel pen!



Or use a good black pen -


Can’t find any colorful leaves yet? Live in a tropical or desert climate? Here’a a fun craft to bring a little Autumn into your home.
You will need:
Cardstock
Smooth cardboard
Scraps of tissue paper
Glue
Wax paper
Pressing cloth
Iron
Hanging ribbon
Hole punch

Trace leaf shapes twice from colored cardstock. Cut out center, leaving a good 3/4” or so border. Put a piece of cardboard down. Place one leaf shape on top, face down, and apply glue. Press a piece of wax paper over that, gluing in place. You are looking at the back of your piece. Tear or cut small pieces of colored tissue paper and place inside the leaf shapes twice. Don’t let any hang outside your outline. Put another piece of wax paper on top.
Take second matching leaf shape and put glue on the back of it. Place front side up over first shape, wax paper, tissue paper, and second piece of wax paper. You are making a ‘sandwich’.


Very carefully take a pressing sheet (I use an old pillowcase) and with a warm iron press the sandwich. Do not move your iron around, but use an up and down motion. This will slightly melt the wax paper, and keeps the tissue paper in place.
Cool, and trim around edges. Punch hole and hang with a seasonal 1/8” - 1/4” ribbon.

NIKKISPLATE.com

I have more leaf patterns in past blogs. Search for ‘leaf’, ‘leaf pattern’, etc.


Using the same leaf patterns, cut some leaves from old book pages. Take a cosmetic sponge and ink pad and ink all over the shapes, sponging darkest on the outer edges. Place in a basket bowl, or…


You could also laminate a few and use as bookmarks.


I liked this idea for a card:




Russian-American artist Victor Nizovtsev; “The Last Leaf”




Here is another simple craft.

Using a sponge, dab ink or paint onto watercolor paper or cardstock. Overlap colors, but keep the colors light and not muddy. Let dry.
Using a permanent black pen, draw leaf shapes on top. I like Micron pens, or Sharpie extra fine point.



Frame it!


Vintage magazine cover, October 1917



By Frances Lillian Taylor; illustrator Clara Atwood Fitts. c.1930

Fall and pumpkins just seem to go together.




Here is a fun how-to-draw a pumpkin:

Lovetodrawthings.com

Did you know you can paint on pumpkins with acrylic paint? I thought these were very pretty-


(In case you hadn’t noticed, I am completely addicted to my kaleidoscope app!)


We have a pair of Great Horned Owls that nest very close. Almost every night, about midnight, one of them sits on our fence and hoots. In early spring he is answered by another hoot!

(Not a Great Horned Owl, but still, an owl)

I found a couple jumping jack type fall puppets. 
Have fun!

Vintage children’s magazine





Vintage song sheet graphics, early 1900’s


Do you see what I see?

Well, I can’t have a good blog without at least a couple paper dolls for you to print and cut out.

Betsy McCall magazine paper doll

Paperdollreview.com















That’s it for today!

‘til next time,
inkspired



No comments:

Post a Comment