Saturday, February 3, 2024

Altered Art Paper Dolls

 Welcome!

Lindaedkinswyatt.blogspot.com

Paper dolls…

Altered Art…

Collage embellishments…

Oh my!

Found on Pinterest, needle & threadLLC


All 3 things are right up my alley.

I remember my first paper dolls when I was 3-4 years old. I continued to play with them until I had to give them up when I was 12, as none of my friends played with anything so ‘babyish’.

Found on Pinterest, no credit

It was a sad day.

Skip ahead a decade or so.

I had moved numerous times. I was in college, and discovered theater. Then I took a costume class. We had to make costume mock-ups for play characters. At the time, you really did not want to see what my human figures looked like hand drawn. What to do?

I’m so sorry, the only info on this is webarchive.org.I know it is from a blog.
 If you know who, please let me know so proper credit is given.


Paper dolls! Of course!
They were wonderful outlines and shapes and continued to ‘help’ me out in future classes. Yay!

No info, found on Pinterest


Ariel - PMQ for 2; Pinterest


To understand Altered Art Paper Dolls we need to understand Altered Art.

What is it?

“Altered Art is a transformation or alteration of ordinary, everyday objects into decorative pieces using a wide variety of different techniques and materials.”
- Google

“Altered Art is a broad term…describes a way of recycling and giving new life to all sorts of commonplace and functional (or perhaps even useless) items for ornamental purposes.”
- www.altered-art.net

“Altered Art is the way to change everyday objects into something really special.”
- www.card-making-magic.com

Jeannordquist.com

Altered Art paper dolls?
You take a paper doll and you have creative play. There are no rules. Want to cut it apart and rearrange parts? Mix it up between a couple different dolls?
Okay!

“There are no limits to what you can do!”
- aisling.net

You can find more of my work on Pinterest: K.Kloberdans

Sometimes I create, and then think how I can use it.


Sometimes I have a need - perhaps a holiday that needs decorating, but I am sadly short of decorative items. Or there’s an empty space on the wall that needs something special.

Scrapbook.com

These reasons will dictate my color choices, how ‘quirky’ I want to get with my altered art, and size limits.

Good grief girlie

Did you have a favorite paper doll that is now all bent up and scotch taped? Here is a clever idea to keep the nostalgia by framing the clothes:

Paper doll Manila

But don’t be afraid to cut up those torn paper dolls and clothes to make something new.
Here we have the base doll, but the artist adds this lovely handkerchief dress.

Marietta.ru

Next we have the bases with altered dresses. They have been added to clothespin wood doll forms.

little pink studio

Artfulplay blogger uses lots of parts and pieces to create her dolls:

Artfulplay.blogspot.com

The next few altered paper dolls I used the base forms and then cut up some recycled catalogs, magazines and junk paper to create the finished dolls:



K.Kloberdans on Pinterest

I also like to make the different parts movable using a very small paper hole punch and brads.


K.Kloberdans, Pinterest

Here are some antique paper doll pieces you can play around with first, if cutting up the original doll is too scary.
You can find these sorts of vintage parts/pieces all over the internet.
Etsy also sells a nice variety of downloadable images from sellers.


The graphic Fairy


And here are some finished dolls:

Tera Medrano

Karen Mallory

‘Isadora’, JuliaPeculiar 

Are you starting to get those creative juices flowing yet?
Thinking about what materials to gather?
Here are some ideas for you:

Small silk flowers
Bits of lace
Buttons
Hardware like nails, screws
Wood baby blocks
Clothespins
Recycled catalogs & magazines
Stash of ephemera (paper)
Candy wrappers
Paper clips
Embroidery floss
Brass charms & beads
Playing cards
Broken toy parts

The list is only limited by your imagination!

Unknown. Pinterest 

Lisa Taft

Lastly, let me mention your photo copier is your friend. Photocopy your paper dolls first if you need to. Then play around with assemblage items and cut up copied doll pieces. When you find a pleasing arrangement, you can then choose between the cut out pieces or the actual doll.
By using photocopied dolls you can use them again and again. Store the originals in a safe place for further fun!

ekduncan.com, Pinterest 


craft-addiction.blogspot.com

I have had so much fun writing and researching about Altered Paper Dolls, I may just have to go create some more!

I hope you have been inspired also! 

‘Til next time,
inkspired

K.Kloberdans, Pinterest
Inkspiredmusings.blogspot.com


Judge Judy’s Pals
Altered paper doll series by inkspired


No comments:

Post a Comment