Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mermaid Musings

Hello!

Let's have some Mermaid musings today!


So what is my fascination with mermaids?
I suppose I would like the ability to swim in the ocean -
the freedom -
the ocean life -
the seashells -
the beauty of all things that surround mermaids.

I really don't like it when movies portray mermaids as ugly, or cannibalistic or revengeful.

That destroys the fantasy of it all!

Besides, mermaids get to play with pearls,
and sunken treasures,
and pretty fish,
and beautiful seashells,
and all sorts of wonderful things!
Miss Universe competition, Miss Dominican Republic

Today's blog is for fun and fantasy!

vintage illustration

Oh yes, and as for all that
'luring men to their death' business,
you just have to remember:
Mermaids just wanna' have fun!


Ned Land, singing in '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea':

"Got a whale of a tale to tell ya lads,
a whale of a tale or two,
'bout floppin' fish and the girls I've loved
on nights like this with the moon above.

A whale of a tale and it's all true,
swear by my tattoo.

There was Mermaid Minnie;
met her down in Madagascar.
She would kiss me anytime that I would ask her.
Then one evening her flame of love blew out-
Blow me down and pick me up,
she swapped me for a trout!"

1950's pin up mermaid!

I know I have posted Ned's song before,
but I enjoy it so much!
Did you sing along as you read the words?
I always do!


I apologize for not having credits for many of my mermaid clip and art. I gathered these before I realized about giving credit, etc.
I am always very willing to give credit for any art that shows up on my blog. Just e-mail me with the info, and I will post.



"The free
Mighty, music-haunted sea."

- Anna Katharine Green


'Mirabilia' Mermaid Queen xstitch

'Sea Fire' mermaid sconce


'Water Goddess' figurine


Fishing Lure Mermaid


"When a person knows who she really is,
once she understands her true wild oceanic self,
she discovers her
Old Mermaid self."

- Myla Alvaraz,
from 'Church of the Old Mermaids'




Some mermaid coloring pages:

Disney's Ariel, 'Little Mermaid'

vintage clip


Dover, from a stained glass mermaid book




The Mermaid

Who would be a mermaid fair,
Singing alone, combing her hair,
Under the sea,
In a golden curl
With a comb of pearl,
On a throne?

I would be a mermaid fair;
I would sing to myself the whole of the day;
with a comb of pearl I would comb my hair;
And still as I comb'd I would sing and say,
"Who is it loves me?
Who loves me not?...

-Sir Alfred Lord Tennyson


by Warwick Goble


unknown artist


A Japanese advertisement

This next mermaid is found in Costa Rica.
She disappears at high tide.


This mermaid (girl in a wetsuit) is Vancouver, Canada's version
of Copenhagen's Little Mermaid.



Here is a mermaid statue in Warsaw, Poland:


Here is a couple of my mermaid Collage Art Dolls.
You can find more for sale in my etsy store:



Well, that is it for today.
I so enjoyed visiting mermaids today!

Have a fantastical day!

inkspired




No comments:

Post a Comment