Saturday, October 3, 2026

Watch my Watches

 


I have a plethora of watches.
(I love that word - plethora!)
Most of my watches are in a box waiting for either new batteries or watch bands. I currently have 2 that actually keep time.
It got me to thinking - what do people do with their ‘old’ watches that are no longer usable?


Is there a watch graveyard someplace, where good watches go to rest?
In a throw-away society, do we just toss the old ones into the landfills?

So, I went on a quest to find ways to repurpose watches, creatively.
I found some really great ideas!


Taking just the watch faces and removing the bands, you can create a unique conversation piece that is also functional.
You can find clock works and ‘hands’ at most hobby stores. Then you just drill a hole in the center of your base and mount the clockworks. Then using a sturdy glue (like E-6000, or Gorilla Glue) glue the watch faces in the proper place. Attach a hanger on the back.

Here is a slightly different take on a watch-decorated clock-


Shadow boxes are a perfect place for memorabilia, and these that have a treasured watch included are just charming. What a beautiful way to remember an ancestor.



I also like this ‘memory wall’ with assorted items, each individually framed but hung in a pleasing arrangement with similar frames. Of course I have to point out the watch!


If you have quite a few watches, here is an unusual and striking Christmas decoration -

Things that make this work are the jeweled brooch at the top as a star, and the finished wooden base. Glue your watch faces onto a base of styrofoam cone or other sturdy material. Then fill in between the watch faces with pearls from broken necklaces. If you use styrofoam be sure to attach securely to a heavier base so it doesn’t topple over.

More watch faces? Here’s an idea:

Posted by Kaye Watts, Pinterest

This montage includes some watch chain bands or bracelets, and some old keys. Again, fill in empty spaces with pearls or beads from broken jewelry. Even use watch parts from broken watches!  You can make this on a wooden frame or mirror. 

Again, E-6000 or Gorilla Glue or something similar that can hold different finishes together works well.


Don’t have very many watches to play with? Choose a smaller width frame to cover, or use more beads in between. You can also check out local thrift stores, or start asking your friends for their non-working watches. Most have at least one or two in a drawer somewhere, and would be happy to donate to your creative cause.


Making jewelry with watches just makes sense.
Do I think that because I love beads?


VintageFrivolity 

Attach some jump rings to 2 close-to-matching watch faces and add some beads and perhaps a charm or two, and then an earring finding. Even though the watch faces are not exact matches they are close enough in shape and size to make a pretty set.

Yesterday’s Trash Art

You can make a unique necklace using the same jewelry techniques as the earrings. You will need jump rings, charms and beads and chain if desired. You can also bead a chain for the necklace.

Here is a choker highlighting just the watch faces with no beads or ‘frills’.


You might need a matching bracelet, although I would probably wear just one or the other to set off the uniqueness of your repurposed watch jewelry.


I love broken jewelry art. Finding some clever interpretations using watches has been fun. I truly love recycling and keeping things out of the landfills.

I would have never thought to put this Bible verse with watches, but it goes together perfectly!


With this next framed art you only need 3 watches -


I like the use of a watch band as a scarf.

Clever Christmas tree wall decor -

Posted on Pinterest by Connie Rachel

The added rhinestones in between as accents really make it festive.

I LOVE this next framed piece:


The post on Pinterest was in Russian, so I don’t know who made it.

There are many different ways you can incorporate old watches into new jewelry. I think these birdhouse/watch pins are very clever, unusual, and really cute!

Credit to Amy Kopperude

Using a variety of beads, each of these watch ‘people’ are unique:

JunkintheTrunk Antique Mall

I certainly wouldn’t have thought of spider pins, yet here are a few!

Credit to Amy Kopperude

These necklaces have used the watch cases more than the clock faces:


…and these bracelets haven’t used the watch faces at all, but only the bands!


This next idea could be worn, but also would look special in a grouping, framed.

BuzzFeed

That could be a great 50th Anniversary present too!

I want to finish with a couple of good display ideas for you. The first one needs a bit of wall space, but wow!


The last idea for you uses a decorative glass jar.
Certainly use a recycled jar if you have one the right size, or even a drinking glass. I would fill the center with matching buttons, cuff links, or small pins for added oomph.


What will you do with your unworkable watches?

‘Til next time,
Inkspired




No comments:

Post a Comment