Saturday, January 25, 2020

Remembering dog kisses

Welcome


Today is one of the worst days.
Our dear Tyler is at peace now and no longer in pain.
He went quietly and kept his uniqueness to the end.

Tyler

Walking had become difficult for him,
he was just so tired all the time.
But at the vet’s today he was able to perk those ears up and chow down on his favorite biscuits.
Food has always been his weakness!


It hasn’t really hit us yet.
Surely he is just asleep in the other room...
we will hear him snore any time now...


We have had many dogs through the years.
Each one has had unique quirks,
silly habits and funny expressions.


We have stories to tell, and laugh about, and remember many good times.


Like our Great Dane, Luke.
We would go to the vet’s. While I checked in
I would tell him to go sit down.
Luke would survey the room, and then choose which bench he wanted to sit on. It was always a very deliberate choice, sometimes being next to another client, sometimes sitting alone...
patiently waiting for me to come sit next to him.

Tyler sitting on the couch in his favorite corner.
Photo by inkspired

It will hit me later that Tyler is truly gone.
When I come home there will be no more
drooly wet kisses and wiggle-butt to greet me.

I will sleep through the night,
instead of being woken up at 11pm...
3:30am, and again at 7:30am.

I won’t need to check to see if he has water in his bowl, throughout the day.
He’s been drinking a LOT lately.
We didn’t know it was part of the cancer.


I suppose I am rambling a bit,
as my thoughts are skipping around,
not wanting to settle and be calm
Because then I will see that he is gone.
And it hurts.


So why do we continue to put ourselves 
through this grief?
Because the rewards are greater than the loss.
Because pets enrich our lives like no other thing.
Because no matter how bad your day has been,
Your dog is waiting for you to come home;
waiting to tell you how GREAT you are!
Waiting to love you unconditionally.


And yes,
after my tears dry I will be thankful that I was given
the privilege of knowing a dog
called Tyler.

R.I.P.
1/25/2020

‘Til next time,
inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment