Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring Columbines

Aman

'Peace' in the Urdu language, spoken in Pakistan


Yes, I am in a SPRING mood today!
We have been getting a gentle rain every evening here in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. My daffodils (mostly gone) and my tulips (getting to the end of their blooming life) are loving it.
My Columbines are growing and multiplying like crazy!
I have maroon/pink columbines, a bit different from the usual yellow or blue.


They are actually a much deeper tone when first blooming.
Why not color some of your own?
You can do realistic, or some funky fantasy columbines:

courtesy of Dover Books

What? You still haven't signed up for their FREE CLIP ART in your mailbox
every week?
Go to Dover and sign up, for goodness' sake!
You can click on 'my favorites' Dover link to the right of this blog.
Easy!

a vintage card front

Here is a paper cutting pattern for a columbine that I drew a few years ago.
Yeah! Scherenschnitte!!

scherenschnitte original pattern by inkspired

The columbine is not a flower-of-the-month flower.
Too bad.
It IS however the state flower for Colorado!
Colorado state flower Rocky Mountain columbine and state bird the lark bunting.

Since it is a 'wild flower' and perhaps not readily available for the Victorian Set, I cannot find any 'language of flower meaning' for the columbine.

I still like 'em!
a stained glass art piece from www.hollyandivy.com


"Who shall be chosen fairy be
For letter C?
There's Candytuft, and Cornflower blue,
Campanula and Crocus too,
Chrysanthemum so bold and fine,
And pretty dancing Columbine.

Yes, Columbine! The choice is she;
And with her, see,
An elfin piper, piping sweet
A little tune for those light feet
That dance among the leaves and flowers
In someone's garden.
(Is it ours?)

- Flower Fairy poem by Cicely Mary Barker

illustration by Cicely Mary Barker, copyrighted

That's it for today!
I am trying to have shorter blogs, so I can have more of them.
What do you think?

'til next time -
inkspired








No comments:

Post a Comment