Sunday, June 26, 2011
I Love New York! with traditional Red Roses
Today's Flower of the Month - the Rose,
will be featuring the state flower of New York -
you guessed it - the Rose!
The state flower of New York state
is rosa rose.
It's nickname, as a state, is "The Empire State".
A full bouquet of roses in full bloom means "Gratitude".
That means, pretty much any rose variation will do.
Traditionally it is portrayed as a red rose,
but you will see many other colors associated with New York State.
This is from a fan blade, vintage 1890 poupeemodele
New York state is the birthplace of
four former presidents;
Martin Van Buren, 8th president (1782)
Millard Fillmore, 13th president (1800)
Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president (1858)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd president (1882)
1854 Teddy Roosevelt's birthplace
Ellis Island, outside New York City
The Statue of Liberty is in New York Harbor.
She was presented to the American people
state bird and flower
New York is the 3rd most populous in the US,
California is first
and Texas is the second.
Here is another coloring page of the Statue of Liberty:
vintage clip - 'In Sweet Remembrance'
Here is a lovely bead design for a rose amulet/purse,
from designer Marcie Fitzwater.
New York state has a long list
of famous American people
that were born there.
Most of these were born in New York City.
Here are just a few:
James J. Braddock
Cuba Gooding, Jr.
Tommy Lee Jones
Jennie Jerome Churchill
Moe, Curly and Shemp Howard
C. Everett Koop
Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo, Gummo Marx
Elizabeth Ann Seton
A spot the difference puzzle:
Well, this is a long blog today!
Of course, there are tons more interesting things about New York State, including New York City and all its' history, but I think our brains are about full now!
Here is a fun little trivia game.
Some are hard, some are easy, some have already been answered in my blog today.
Here we go......
Famous People born in New York trivia quiz.
Find the name that goes with the 'job'.
All the names have been listed
somewhere in this blog!
1. Who was the mother of Winston Churchill?
2. Who was a famous opera singer?
3. Who is the "Cinderella Man"?
4. Who sang Broadway show tunes constantly behind the scenes?
5. Who is a comedic film director?
6. Who won Olympic medals in silver and gold?
7. Who is a jazz pianist?
8. Who is a basketball player?
9. Who is known as the tap dance revivalist?
10. Who was a First lady of the USA, and an editor?
11. Who is a blonde singer popular today?
12. Who was a brunette singer that was also a dancer and model?
13. Who are the Three Stooges?
14. What brothers were a composer and a lyricist?
15. What baseball player has a disease named after himself?
16. Who is a talented songwriter, singer and performer with Simon?
17. Who is considered to be the painter of American Life?
18. Who is the first native-born US citizen to be canonized?
19. Who was an actress, director and writer famous for her one-
liners, double meanings and curvy figure?
20. Who was a gangster that started Las Vegas to be what it is
21. Who has been an army general, and the Secretary of State?
22. Who was a First Lady and a human rights activist?
23. Who is an instrumentalist and singer/songwriter and one my
favorite vocal artists?
24. Who was the Surgeon General and a physician, with the same
name as my grandfather, and middle name of my father?
25. Who is a favorite children's author, with one book made into a
26. Who was an infamous gangster that turned out to be not so
27. Who is an American Football coach?
28. Who is a well-known actress since a child, and is
an activist for mental health issues today?
29. Who was a blonde actress in the 30's?
30. Who played the fiancee of Cher in 'Moonstruck'?
31. Who won fame in M*A*S*H, and is an author, activist, director
32. Who is Hank Azaria?
33. Who is the supporting actor in 'Lightening Jack', and has
perhaps one of the funniest scenes of all time in it?
34. What 3 brothers are famous, but not so their other 2 brothers?
35. What actor and film director is known for his tough guy roles,
but also does terrific comedy roles?
36. Who is a female author?
37. Who is a physicist and astronomer?
That was fun!!
I look forward to seeing you tomorrow
in my blog.
Drop me a note and say howdy-doo: