Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Georgia On My Mind with a Cherokee Rose

 
Hey! 

c.1916

The Cherokee Rose
is the State Flower for Georgia,
the largest state East of the Mississippi River.

turkeyfeathers.typepad.com

The botanical name is Rosa laevigata.
Amazing what I have learned about roses this month!

 


So, a little about Georgia:
      Named for King George II of England
      4th state to sign the Constitution
      State population in 1776 was around 40,000
      Admitted to Statehood - January 2, 1788


The Cherokee Nation mainly inhabited parts of Georgia,
before the European explorers came -
thus, the name
Cherokee Rose





Here is an American Girl paperdoll
with roots from the Cherokee Nation:






The famous singer, Ray Charles, was born in Albany, Georgia.
One of his signature songs was the official State song:

Georgia On My Mind

Written by: Stuart Gorrell
Composed by: Hoagy Carmichael

Georgia, Georgia, the whole day through
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.
Georgia, Georgia, a song of you
Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines.

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you.


Georgia, Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.

Melodies bring memories
That linger in my heart
Make me think of Georgia
Why did we ever part?

Some sweet day when blossoms fall
And all the world's a song
I'll go back to Georgia
'Cause that's where I belong.
courtesy Jim Conrad Naturalist Newsletter

If you have never heard Ray Charles sing "Georgia on my mind", take the time to go to YouTube, and type in a search for it.
You can thank me at:
:0)

Here is a pretty embroidery transfer with cherokee roses for you,
courtesy of patternbee.com/FREEQBJUNE.html/


 Some more famous people born in Georgia:
Augusta, GA:
Amy Grant
Lawrence Fishburne III
Atlanta, GA:
Gladys Knight
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Narrows, GA:
Ty Cobb
Waycross, GA:
Burt Reynolds


Cherokee Rose rose hips

Fun Fact:

The pirate Edward "Blackbeard" Teach made a home on Blackbeard Island.
The United States Congress designated the
Blackbeard Island Wilderness Area
in 1975 and it now has a total of 3,000 acres.
Here is a wonderful buccaneer/pirate costume, from Liana's blog:

Just type in my blog's search box "Liana's blog"
or "free paperdoll" and you will find two base dolls this costume fits.

c.1922

c.1906


Joanne Woodward was born in Thomasville, known as The City of Roses.



I just have to mention,
in Macon, GA Wesleyan College
was the first college in the world
chartered to grant degrees to women!



There are, of course, tons more fun facts, trivia and info
about Georgia, but that is for another day!



I hope you have enjoyed this month's
Flower of the Month -
the Rose
and today's variation
the Cherokee Rose.


c.1912

I still have New York's Rosa rose,
Iowa's Des Wild Rose Rosa Pratincola,
North Dakota's wild prairie rose,
and Oklahoma's Rosa odorata sweet.... 


inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment