Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Aprons, Appetizers and free paperdolls with lots of dresses!

Hello!
I hope your day is full of sunshine, whether outside or inside.
Our skies are gray, with big rolling thunder and a steady rain.
But that's okay!
It is a perfect day to spend inside with a sewing machine, vintage apron patterns, and my fabric stash.
Or...to chat about aprons with you!
vintage Singer sewing machine French ad

I had quite a bit of fun yesterday looking through my craft/sewing books, and browsing Amazon for apron books. I delight in showing you some of my finds!

gotta love Mary Englebreit...
I really really like the feature on Amazon where you can take a sneek peak at what's inside a book, before you order. Don't you just hate it when you purchase a book, get it home, and it is not at all what you expected or wanted? I sure do.

"Worthy books
Are not companions - they are solitudes:
We lose ourselves in them and all our cares." 
- Philip James Bailey

I have this book, and it is terrific!
A special feature -
the back has a pocket that contains a pattern of a full size bib apron!
EllynAnne Geisel, author, has filled her book with loads of photos of vintage aprons, vintage apron ads, stories from women of their apron memories growing up, history of the apron (starting with Adam and Eve!) and so much more.
Do I sound like a commercial yet?
But wait...there's more!!!  (My husband and I always laugh at those commercials.)
This book is definitely on my wish list now. It looks very interesting from descriptions and reviews.  I remember my grandmother talking about using feed sacks to make clothes. I also remember vaguely something made with a blue and pink design from a feedsack.  Long ago memories.
vintage Ivorine Soap ad


Time for a Deep Fried Mozzarella recipe!
This is one of the appetizer recipes that was lost from yesterday's blog.
Enjoy...but be sure to wear an apron!
Deep Fried Mozzarella
from 'Cooking with Mickey Gourmet Mickey Cookbook, Volume II'
Caffe Villa Verde, Disneyland Hotel
1 pound whole mozzarella cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 Cup flour
1 Cup bread crumbs
1/4 Cup parsley, chopped
4 Cups vegetable oil for frying
marinara sauce
> Cut mozzarella cheese into 3" sticks about 1/2" thick.
Combine bread crumbs and chopped parsley in a small bowl.
Set up beaten eggs in another.
Place flour on a plate.
First thoroughly dust cheese sticks in flour, shaking off any excess.
Dip in beaten egg, coating thoroughly, and then in bread crumbs.
Press lightly to ensure an even coating.
Refrigerate 15 minutes to allow breading to set up.
>In the meantime, heat oil in a heavy skillet (or electric skillet, my preference) just large enough to allow for 2" of oil.
When oil is hot, fry a few cheese sticks at a time to a golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Repeat until all cheese has been fried.
Serve hot with marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- my additions....
We like Paul Newman's Original Spaghetti Sauce, or Blue Parrot Spaghetti Sauce, to use as marinara sauce.  We also like Ranch dressing to dip the fried cheese in.
vintage spice ad

Here are the paper dolls I promised from yesterday:







Check out the cute aprons these paperdolls have!


This next book of aprons I also own. It is full of pages of vintage apron photos, and has a large pattern index in the back. These are meant to be enlarged. I find this can be a real hassle, trying to get a full size apron out of a pattern that says "Enlarge 400%", but it is doable. Get your scotch tape out!
An alternative is to take it to a print/copy store (we use Kinko's mostly) and have them enlarge and print it on their 'big' machines for a small fee.

Don't let my comments about enlarging patterns scare you - this is still a super book, with really cute apron patterns.
vintage postcard, Spanish couple

Well, I think that's enough for one day.
I hope you have fun with the paperdolls.
Invite a child over to help you cut out and play with them!
inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment