Friday, April 17, 2020

Rockin’ Paint

Welcome

All kaleidoscopes by inkspired and KaleidoCam 

Let’s do some crafty things with rocks!

Found on Etsy 

With paint!

Why?
1) It’s fun
2) immediate results
3) great fine motor activity
4) a fun way to teach colors
5) it’s very inexpensive (cheap!)
6) you probably have the main materials already
7) encourages creativity
8) they make great personal gifts

I know there are more reasons,
but that should get you started.

By Decozilla

Check out ‘rock painting’ in your search engine
and you will find tons of ideas and patterns.

Find these on Etsy

Someone asked me once where do I get my rocks.
I replied ‘In my front yard!’

Found on Pinterest 

I have featured rock painting in previous blogs so I will try not to repeat myself.

Preparation for the rocks is no big deal.
I just use water and a nail brush-
it has very stiff short bristles.

Let dry thoroughly before painting.

Found on Pinterest 

I have deliberately chosen to feature rocks 
with simple designs.
Almost any age child can paint a rock.
Of course, the younger they are,
the messier things might get!

Supplies

*Washed, dry rocks
*Acrylic paint -
this can be from a bottle, or a paint pen
*paint brushes, various sizes
and/or
*Sharpie permanent markers

One of my current favorite paint pen brands is
Artistro 

They come in a nice assortment of colors
and different size tips.


To finish your rocks I recommend-

*Mod Podge - any of the finishes
*Spray acrylic sealer
(I like Krylon, seems to always work well)

By Rock Monsters? Pinterest

Here are some fun ideas for faces-
By graphicriver.net


Start out with base coating your rock.
Depending on several things,
 you may need up to 3 coats for solid coverage.

Be sure to dry in between each coat.

What to do while you’re waiting?
Practice drawing your faces on scratch paper!
or practice your lettering spaces,
or your flowers.
Or
Go eat lunch!

Sold on Etsy

By Kala Escobar

If you choose paint pens, drawing words,
or flower details, or ladybug dots
becomes so much more fun.

 By WTYIIPRN, Pinterest 

By beardians,me

Why use both Mod Podge and Spray Sealer?
I have read that if you use Sharpie markers
that some spray sealants will
Melt
all your Sharpie details.
Have not been willing to try this myself!

The Mod Podge seals the paint,
and then the spray sealant can make it 
water resistant or even protect it from UV rays
depending on what variety of spray you choose.

Paintingrocks.blogspot.com

Did you know Mod Podge comes in several formulas?

I didn’t, until I went to buy a jar!
It now comes in-
* matte finish
*glossy finish
*satin (semi-glossy) finish
*glitter
*puzzle saver
*dishwasher safe!
*fabric
And 10 more!!

Great stuff;
by Plaid Enterprises
and no, I am not affiliated or paid by them!

Found on Pinterest

After painting your rock and giving it time to dry
you are ready to seal it.
Do you have to seal it?
Of course not!
However by sealing your rock it will look much better and preserve it from dings and chips.

Start with 2-3 coats of your preferred
Mod Podge formula.
Again, let dry thoroughly between coats.



I use 2-4 light coats of spray sealer next.
Dry in between coats.
I do that many because I am spraying rounded surfaces and I want to be sure I get it all covered.

Mandala painted rock found on Pinterest 

I do hope you try a few rocks,
I have found it quite relaxing,
and addictive!


Search my blog labels for
Rock painting’ or ‘painted rocks’
and you should find more tips from past blogs.

‘Til next time,
inkspired


No comments:

Post a Comment