Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Scissors 101

Welcome!



Using a new app!
WordPak

Easy to use - you type in words you want and then can choose preset color combinations,
choice of shapes and your font choice.

How many languages can you recognize in the above heart?

Hint: they all say ‘welcome’.

Kaleidoscope by inkspired 

I am constantly trying to clean/put away/organize
my stamping/craft room.
But then, I find a project I want to work on,
so my surfaces will be once again covered!

Recently I found a folder with some of my completed
paper cuttings.
It was fun to see them again!

 Bremen Town musicians
American Collection, Back Street Designs
Hand cut by inkspired 

I have no idea why they were in a folder, 
and not framed and hung!

Swans
American Collection, Back Street Designs
Hand cut by inkspired 

Many of my papercutting patterns are from the now out-of-print Back Street scherenschnitte series of books.
You can Google them and find the patterns 
online and free now.

Hand cut by inkspired 
American Collection, Back Street Designs


Some I find in craft magazines.

Hand cut and pierced by inkspired 

Some patterns I get from papercutting books.

Hand cut by inkspired 

I am always on the lookout for new patterns!
I have even made a few patterns of my own.
😁
Of course, do I have any photos of those?
Nope!
Oh well.

Parchment hand cut by inkspired 
Hearts & Flowers, Back Street Designs

(I think I may watercolor this one
to give it some added dimension and interest.)

Scissors tips

Now, I did call this blog Scissors 101,
so I best pass on a few tips for you!

1. Always use the sharpest scissors you can find.
Paper is very dulling to scissors.

2. Use your papercutting scissors ONLY for paper.
Other materials may cause nicks in the blades,
which may affect how smooth your cut is.

3. Scissors with very short blades work well for 
delicate/intricate cuts.
Try to find some with longer handles.

4. Many ‘purists’ use only black paper.
Experiment with different weights and colors!

5. An Xacto blade is used for small, straight cuts.
I like Fiskars fingertip blade holder.

6. Do not be cheap. Change out your blades frequently to avoid tears in your cutting.

7. A self-healing mat is not a must, but it sure helps!
You can find these in the sewing/quilting sections.

8. To access an area inside the cutting, use a hole punch.
Now you have room to fit in your scisssors blades
without risk of tearing the paper.

9.***Very Important!!!
When you are cutting, move your paper around,
NOT your scissors!
This may take some initial re-training of scissors habits,
But
It will make all the difference in your cutting!

Hand cut twice to make a stand up 
dimensional centerpiece.
Pattern is from Papercuttings by Alison.

She no longer sells her patterns on paper or books.
She has opened a digital download type site however.

I so hope you will go grab some scissors,
an old magazine or greeting card
and cut something out!

I find it very satisfying and relaxing.

‘Til’ next time,
inkspired

Kaleidoscope by inkspired

Truth: (usually experienced before 10 am, or coffee)
You really should sit down 
when attempting to put on pants. 
This prevents falling over,
and also from trying to put both legs
into one pants leg...
😁

No comments:

Post a Comment