Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August's Gladiolus Flower and Meanings of Flowers

hoi

(Dutch, for a very informal 'hello')

Time to Sing
original ooak Collage Art Doll by inkspired

Today I will cautiously try to publish a new blog.
I'm feeling a little 'gun-shy'.

I haven't heard from anyone yet on whether they have experienced
the same problems with blogspot,
or if I am just a favored blogspot "let's-pick-on-someone" person.

That feels too much like Junior High and High School
where you know everyone is staring at you!

Ah, what a horrible time period.
I do not understand people that say high school was the best time of their life.
What?
They seriously need to move on and create a new life for now!
Do I ever wish I could go back and do things over?
Not really.
I like the maturity and wisdom and mellowness that age offers.
If I hadn't gone through all that angst & experiences both good and bad
I would not be the person I am today.
I kinda' like the person I have evolved into.
Not the body,
wouldn't mind a new one of those!
:0)

duck billed platypus rubber stamp

Let's have a little fun with gladiolus' today!

I will not write a book.
I will not write a book.
I will not write a book.

Perhaps we will just have a little fun with gladioulus'!

Leonid Afremov painting

Gladiolus is one of the flowers for the month of August.
Poppy is the other one, which I will save for another day.

The Gladioli flower is commonly referred to by the name of its' genus -
Gladiolus,
the plural form of which can be
Gladiole,
Gladioluses
or
Gladioli.

 
Gladiolus spikes are available in a wide variety of colors including
white, yellow, orange, pink, purple and red.
Quite the flower rainbow!
 
The genus gladiolus has 260 species,
250 of them are native to sub-Saharan Africa,
mostly South Africa.


About 10 species are native to Eurasia.
Most of the more than 10,000 named Gladioli cultivars were probably derived
from just seven species native to South Africa!
These were first brought to European gardens in the late 17th century.

So what did a Gladiolus in a bouquet mean
to that Victorian Lady who received them?

Well, there were several!
Hopefully the other flowers in the bouquet helped express the correct meaning.

The gladiolus flower signifies remembrance.

It also expresses infatuation,
telling the receiver that she (or he) pierces the heart.

It also stands for strength of character,
faithfulness,
and honor!
but wait.....there's more!

The Gladiolus means Love at first sight.

Oh dear, there are even more....

The Gladiolus symbolizes sincerity and loyalty.

glads n cake by http://www.mamamin.com/

For those of you who are into 'elements',
the Gladiolus flower is Fire.

"I know that if odour were visible, as colour is,
I'd see the summer garden in
rainbow clouds."

- Robert Bridges



There are several interesting stories about how the flower got it's name,
legend and lore about the flower
and some more meanings!
I am saving these for another day, as

I will not write a book.
I will not write a book.
I will not write a book.

Really!


Feelin' kinda punky today, so that's it for now.
:0)

Drop me a comment, let me know what you think,
what you would like me to cover,
what kinds of subjects you would like in the future.
I have not recently done a craft,
or art tutorial,
or focused on a project.
I plan on adding those in again.
Have suggestions?
I won't know them unless you comment!

I do love to blog....
:0)

inkspired


1 comment:

  1. if you can believe this, I bought wrapping paper with seeds in it. I planted it & it turned out to be red/orange gladioli. how cool

    ReplyDelete