Thursday, June 2, 2011

Edible Flowers and Butterfly Paperdolls part 2

Bonjour!


altered domino found at www.nixcreations.etsy.com

I promised I would play "catch-up" today, so let's start with the remaining pages of the unique paperdoll set from yesterday:

Butterfly Dancers









Isn't this FREE paperdoll set just fabulous?
I downloded it from OrigamiBears web.
I just can't thank her enough for all her wonderful downloads.

I think I like this set a little more because it is a ballet one.
One of my favorite paper doll sets when growing up was one
of 5 sisters (different ages) that had all matching ballet outfits
for many different ballets.
The cover of the book was in purples, titled something like "Ballerinas",
and it was by Whitman from the 1960's I believe.

vintage clip

I have lost all my paper dolls.
Very sad.
It was hard enough in all my moves to be able to keep things.
We moved alot!

On the back of our camper, we had the words:

the TROUPS at ease

My mom came up with that one!
We received lots of chuckles from passers-by and fellow KOA campers.

c.1908

Next is the promised fun things to do with pansies, and other flowers too!

a perfect no-fuss cupcake topper

Let's start off with which flowers are edible,
and some fun tips:

for sale on Amazon

Some popular edible flowers include nasturtiums, pansies,
 snapdragons, flowering maple, bachelor's buttons, dianthus,
 scented geraniums, chrysanthemum daisies, violets, 
margarita daisies, hibiscus, marigolds, and calendulas.
Bachelor Buttons

To start with, eat only the petals of edible flowers, and always remove any trace of the pistils and stamen. So your digestive system has a chance to get used to it, introduce flowers into your diet one at a time, in small quantities. And always be sure you like the taste of a flower before adding it to a recipe.
'Lemon Souffle' dianthus


Use only flowers that are grown without pesticides.


Remember, just because a flower is served with food,
it is not necessarily edible.
'Lemon Gem' edible marigold

Sugared Pansies
Pansies can have a mild, fresh flavor or a more prominent wintergreen taste, depending on the variety and on how much of the flower you eat (a whole flower tastes stronger than the petals alone).

Eat only pansies that are grown organically, without chemical pesticides; this rules out almost everything from florists, garden centers, and nurseries. If you plan to eat pansies, it's a good idea either to grow them yourself or to order them from an edible-flower source.
Johnny Jump-Ups from my garden


From what I can find out,
Johnny Jump Ups can be equally exchanged for pansies.
Sugared or fresh flowers on top of sorbet - mmmmm
Use the pansies to garnish cocktails, soups, and desserts.

Here's the recipe how-to:
Ingredients
  • Egg white from 1 large egg
  • Fresh pansies, organically grown and stems removed
  • Superfine sugar
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white with 1/2 teaspoon water. Using tweezers, hold a pansy and lightly brush both sides of the petals to coat. Sprinkle with sugar, shaking to remove any excess sugar. Let dry on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet until pansies feel crisp, about 8 hours. May be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
The above photo looks to me like home-made chocolates, poured into foil cups.
Top with a white chocolate tinted-with-food-paste to a lovely lilac.
While still wet, add sugared pansies to top.
Cook's Note:
Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.
Please be considerate of others' health concerns.

I wonder if we couldn't substitute the dried egg whites
found in a can in the baking department?
Let me know when you make these - I would love to hear of your experiences, successes, (failures) and comments!
'Max Frei' geraniums

purnima_girouard lady w violets

Well, that is enough for today.
I have some sticker weeds to dig out of my flower garden, and some dead heading on my columbines and the last of the tulips also.
I am so grateful that I am able to do some gardening now.
Kate Greenaway illustration


Thanks Dr. Agarwala - you're a great back surgeon!!!
( Panorama Center, Westminster/Golden, CO)
Tomorrow we will have some more
Language of Flowers Fun!
Enjoy the day.
Revel ln the weather, whether sunny, fair or cloudy!
inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment