Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Vintage Easter

Good day!
 a stamped card colored with glaze pens

Today I am in an Easter mood. Not the chicks and eggs and candy sort of Easter, but an Easter with the belief that Jesus Christ died for our sins on the cross, and was buried in a borrowed tomb, and that 3 days later he rose from that grave in a new body - resurrected. With His resurrection we are assured that He had conquered death, and could offer us eternal life with Him in heaven.

There is solemnity.
There is deep grief.
There is sorrow.
BUT there is also joy,
there is hope,
there is confidence.
c.1905

'Restored'

"Whenever I lose my sight of the Cross,
Black clouds surround me and I feel almost lost,
Although on Calvary my soul was set free,
I forget that Jesus really did that for me.

Sometimes I wrap myself up in myself,
And try to live my life without my Lord's help,
And again those clouds appear and nothing goes right.
Life stops when I let Jesus out of my sight.

Don't you know what Jesus wants of you
Is everything you've got my friend,
For you to give it all to Him,
And that is where your true life begins.

And when I resolve to live day by day,
I communicate with God and He leads the way.
The skies are blue and Jeus smiles down on me,
As I walk reminded of the price He paid for me."

c.1903
  

"For God so loved the world that He didn't send a committee."
- church bulletin humor

c.1905

"Peace on the outside comes from
Knowing God within."

I know these say Christmas Bells, but I like Easter Bells!!


c.1896

c.1897

Don't forget, you can print these wonderful antique song sheet covers, and cut out.
Take your Mod Podge glue and a wood plaque (available at all craft/hobby stores)
and decoupage the cover onto it.
What a beautiful and unique wall hanging!
After decoupaging, you can add some silk flowers to a corner or two for added beauty.

These vintage prints also lend themselves very naturally to collage/altered art.
Take a coffee table, or end table. A chest, or?
Decoupage on a group, overlapping the edges. Add some vintage lace in while you are decoupaging. This produces a stunning, gorgeous piece of art furniture that is functional.
Be sure to use the clear acrylic spray to finish it, after all is very dry.
This will prevent the tackiness from the Mod Podge.
I like to use Krylon products, they always produce good results.

 c.1890

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son
so that anyone who believes in Him will not die, but receive eternal life."

from the Gospel of John, chapter 3 verse 16


c.1917

"We may give without loving,
but we cannot love without giving."
- Bernard Meltzer

This is a lovely photo from Ireland:
Glansevern Hall Gardens circa 1840

"There is no death, only a change of worlds."

- Chief Seattle, North American Native

"Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection,
not in books alone, but in every leaf of springtime."

- Martin Luther, theologian and reformist

I do hope you enjoyed this little stroll through
my vintage Easter, my present Easter, and my future Easter.
sincerely,
inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment